Work in Progress – Play Program

I have been super busy working on a program for an upcoming production of both Hamlet and Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead. Both productions are being presented in rotating repertory so the program will be a combination of both productions.

The concept is of a workbook of the production with bits and pieces falling out of a well worn book. Using my well-known love of paper ephemera and my vast collection, I have managed to bring in a little CarrieTown to my day-job. I will post more as it gets closer to completion, but here is a sneak peak of the cover.

Since the program book covers both productions, it will Hamlet on one side, and then will be flipped over to the R&G side.

The notebook graphics were created in PhotoShop using various leather patterns with additional aging accomplished with grunge brushes. This photo includes the bleeds, but you can see from the distressing where the final size will be trimmed.

I have had so much fun creating all the individual elements of this program. I am excited to see how it turns out.

Advertisements

Sewing Themed Collage – Part 1

This is a little 8 1/2 x 10″ collage I created for my friend, D’s, birthday. Since D is a theatrical costume designer, I wanted to create a simple collage featuring ephemera relating to sewing & fabric. However, I wanted the colors to remain muted and neutral so it wouldn’t distract from the vibrant inspiration wall for the current theatrical production in D’s office.

I started with a stretched canvas on wood. I painted it a neutral brownish tan color roughly, showing brush strokes and some of the white underneath. I then decoupaged scrapbooking paper of a vintage fabric & millinery supply catalog. I do my painting & decoupaging while the canvas is sitting on an old text book, this acts as a drop cloth for paint & glue, and when the paper gets too gross, you can just turn the page to another brand new drop cloth.

To smooth the bubbles out, I use old gift cards. The small size is great, plus you can just toss it when it is too gluey.

I then started playing around with the layout of the other papers. I knew I wanted to incorporate pieces from a vintage sewing pattern, and for the other papers I chose them for their content, but also for their color. Since this piece would be muted, I wanted them all to be similar hue.

Once I was happy with the layout, I decopauged the pieces with Modge Podge. I waited for each piece to adhere before putting the next piece on.

The pattern piece was the most difficult to decoupage–it was so thin, it had a tendency to tear, but also developed bubbles. This is when the gift card smoother came in handy!

This post is taking forever for me to finish, so I will continue in a second post…